Col. Craig Keyes is the Commander, 4th Medical Group, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina. He is responsible for the Air Force’s largest Medical Treatment Facility in the state with three diverse squadrons consisting of 320 active duty, civilian, and contract personnel offering extensive dental, flight medicine, healthcare plan management, laboratory, mental health, pediatrics, pharmacy, physical therapy, primary care, public health, radiology imaging, referral and medical management, and women’s health services. Together, the group cares for approximately 36K beneficiaries through a budget of almost $32M and provides 90K patient encounters and over 222K ancillaries annually. In addition, the group ensures the global medical readiness requirements for the Combat Air Force’s largest flying program, maintenance group, and F-15E Strike Eagle wing.
Prior to joining the Air Force, Col Keyes worked for two civilian health systems and completed a residency in hospital administration at the Geisinger Health System. He is board certified in health care management.
Col. Keyes has served at four medical groups, one medical wing, and as a staff officer at Air Mobility Command and then the Air Force Medical Support Agency. He deployed to the Craig Joint Theater Hospital, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan twice, including serving as the hospital Deputy Commander, supporting advanced trauma care and theater aeromedical evacuation operations. Col Keyes also served as the 374th Medical Support Squadron Commander and 374th Medical Group Administrator in Japan for two years.
1995 Bachelor of Science degree in Health Care Administration, Business minor, University of Scranton, Penn.
1998 Master's degree in Health Care Administration, University of Scranton, Penn.
2003 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Fellowship in Medical Resources Management, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Illinois
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
1. August 1998 - July 2001, Medical Logistics Flight Commander, later, Business Operations and Beneficiary Services Flight Commander, McConnell AFB, Kan.
2. July 2001 - July 2004, Group Practice Manager, later, Business Operations and Beneficiary Services Flight Commander, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
3. July 2004 - August 2006, Group Practice Manager, later TRICARE Operations and Patient Administration Flight Commander, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
4. August 2006 - August 2008, Fellow, Medical Resources Management, later Chief, Financial Management Branch, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. August 2008 - September 2009, Executive Officer, Air Force Medical Support Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
6. September 2009 - July 2011, Chief, Financial Operations Branch -- Medical Modernization and Information Technology,Air Force Medical Support Agency, Falls Church, Va.
7. July 2011 - June 2013, Commander, 374th Medical Support Squadron and Administrator, 374th Medical Group, Yokota Air Base, Japan
8. July 2013 - June 2017, Chief Financial Officer, 59th Medical Wing, JBSA-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
American College of Healthcare Executives Air Force Regent’s Award
Air Force Medical Service Corps Commitment to Service Award
Air Force Resource Management Team of the Year
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Fellow, American College of Health Care Executives
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant July 20, 1998
Captain July 20, 2000
Major Nov. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2010
Colonel March 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2017)