Chief Master Sergeant Eric M. West serves as the Command Chief, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C. He is the primary advisor to the wing commander on matters affecting mission readiness, morale, quality of life, utilization, health and welfare of the wings nearly 7,000 active-duty and civilian members as well as 15,000 dependents and retirees. The wing is home to 94 F-15E Strike Eagle aircraft assigned to two operational and two training fighter squadrons, flying more than 12,000 sorties and 21,000 hours per year. Chief West is a vital liaison between the installation and the local community in order to strengthen community relations and ensure diverse opportunities for Team Seymour families.
Chief West enlisted in the Air Force in May of 1998. His background includes various duties in the aircraft maintenance field at the unit, squadron, group, and major-command level to include Crew Chief, Quality Assurance, Production Expediter and Superintendent, Flight Chief, Superintendent, Functional Area Manager, and Branch Superintendent. He has completed multiple overseas tours in the Republic of Korea, England, and Germany, and has deployed or supported Operations Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Freedom's Sentinel, and Inherent Resolve.
2002 Airman Leadership School, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
2007 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
2009 Associates in Applied Science in Aircraft Maintenance Technology, CCAF
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Correspondence Course
2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2012 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2014 Professional Manager Certification, CCAF
2015 Advanced Maintenance Superintendent Course, AMMOS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2017 Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2017 Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Management, Ashford University
2017 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2019 Command Chief Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2020 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II Correspondence Course
1. May 1998 – July 1998, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. July 1998 – December 1998, Student, F-15 Maintenance Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. December 1998 – December 2002, F-15 Assistant and Dedicated Crew Chief, 71st Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
4. December 2002 – January 2009, F-15 Dedicated Crew Chief, Quality Assurance Inspector, Flightline Expediter, 325th Maintenance Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. January 2009 – February 2011, APG Section Chief, F-22 Production Superintendent, 412th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. February 2011 – February 2012, F-16 Production Superintendent, 8th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
7. February 2012 – April 2016, Lead Production Superintendent, 48th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
8. April 2016 – November 2018, F-15/F-35 Functional Area Manager, Aircraft Maintenance Branch Superintendent, USAFE/A4, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. November 2018 – July 2020, Group Superintendent, 96 Maintenance Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. July 2020 – Present, Command Chief, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
2000 Senior Airman Below-the-Zone
2001 1st Fighter Wing Lt General Leo Marquez Award
2002 1st Maintenance Group CMSAF Thomas Barnes Award
2009 325th Maintenance Group Maintenance Professional of the Year
2010 412th Maintenance Group Lance P. Sijan Award
2011 80th Aircraft Maintenance Unit Maintenance Professional of the Year
2014 48th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Lt General Leo Marquez Award
2014 48th Fighter Wing General Lew Allen Trophy
2015 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron Lance P. Sijan Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant April 2017
(Current as of July 2020)