Chief Master Sgt. Stephen W. Cornelius serves as the Command Chief, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C. He is the primary adviser to the wing commander on matters affecting mission readiness, morale, quality of life, utilization, health and welfare of the wings 6,000 active-duty and civilian members as well as 14,000 dependents and retirees. The wing is home to 94 F-15E Strike Eagle aircraft assigned to two operational and two training fighter squadrons, flying more than 12,000 sorties and 21,000 hours per year. Chief is a vital liaison between the installation and the local community in order to strengthen community relations and ensure diverse opportunities for Team Seymour families.
Cornelius was born in Sulphur, Okla., and enlisted in the Air Force in July 1993. His background includes various duties in joint and aircraft maintenance specialty career field with assignments at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Ida.; Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas; Kadena Air Base, Japan; Cannon Air Force Base, N.M.; Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.; Taif AB, Saudi Arabia; Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, and Misawa Air Base, Japan. He also deployed 14 times in support of operations Freedom’s Sentinel, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Southern Watch, Northern Watch and Provide Comfort.
1996 Airman Leadership School, Mountain Home, Ida.
1997 Associate of Science Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, CCAF
2000 Associate of Science Degree, Technical Education, CCAF
2002 Bachelor of Science, Occupational Education, Wayland Baptist
2003 NCO Academy, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2006 Bachelor of Science, Professional Aeronautics, Embry Riddle
2009 Masters Business Administration-Global Management, University of Phoenix
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint PME Correspondence Course
2012 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2013 Professional Manger Certification
2015 Masters of Business Administration-Strategic Leadership, Trident University
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint PME II
2017 Command Chief Orientation Course
2018 Project Management Professional Certification
1. July 1993 - August 1993, Basic Military Trainee, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1993 - December 1993, Student, Aircraft Maintenance Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
3. January 1994 - December 1999, F-15 Dedicated Crew Chief, 391st Fighter Squadron Mountain Home Air Force Base, Ida.
4. January 2000 - November 2003, F-15 Technical Training Instructor, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
5. December 2003 - January 2006, Flightline Expeditor, 44th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Kadena Air Base, Japan
6. February 2006 - October 2007, Aircraft Section Chief, 524th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Cannon Air Force Base, N.M.
7. November 2007 - June 2010, Production Superintendent 55th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
8. July 2010 - July 2011, Maintenance Advisor (Joint), U.S. Military Training Mission, Air Force Division, Taif, Saudi Arabia
9. July 2011 - September 2014, Superintendent, 18th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska
10. October 2014 - May 2015 (Joint), Superintendent, 451st Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
11. June 2015 - June 2016, Group Superintendent, 354th Maintenance Group, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska
12. June 2016 - February 2018, Group Superintendent, 35th Maintenance Group, Misawa Air Base, Japan
13. February 2018 - October 2018, Interim Command Chief, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa Air Base, Japan
14. October 2018 - Present, Command Chief, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award w/Valor with four oak leaf clusters
1996 Airman of the Year, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Ida.
2003 Distinguished Graduate, NCO Academy, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2008 Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award, 20th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
2010 Joint Military Training Advisor of the Year, USMTM, Riyadh Saudi Arabia
2012 John L. Levitow Award, Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2012 11th Air Force Senior NCO of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant December 2014
(Current as of October 2018)