Colonel A. Joel Meyers is the commander,
4th Operations Group, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour
Johnson AFB, N.C. In this role, he is responsible for
organizing, training, equipping, and deploying 94 F-15E
aircraft and over 600 officer, enlisted, and civilian
personnel in support of combat operations. In addition,
Colonel Meyers produces over 90 F-15E pilots and
weapon systems officers per year in Air Combat
Command’s largest Formal Training Unit.
Colonel Meyers entered the Air Force in June 1994 after
graduating from the United States Air Force Academy
with a Bachelor of Science in Management. He is a
graduate of both Undergraduate Navigator as well as
Pilot Training and has served as a F-15 instructor pilot in
five squadrons. Colonel Meyers has flown in Operations
JOINT ENDEAVOR, NORTHERN WATCH, NOBLE
EAGLE and ENDURING FREEDOM and has a mix of
operational, training, international, and joint tours. While
assigned to the J-3 Operations Directorate of the Joint
Staff, he served as a briefer for the Secretary of
Defense. In 2013, as commander of the 389th Fighter
Squadron, he deployed to Al Dhafra Air Base, United
Arab Emirates, where his squadron conducted combat
sorties in Afghanistan and provided combat air power in
the Arabian Gulf. Prior to his current position, he was the Chief, Precision Engagement Division, at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Business Management, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of Arts, Theological Studies, Liberty University, Lynchburg, Va.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Naval War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
2015 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Newport, R.I.
1. July 1994 – October 1995, Student Navigator, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, 558th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
2. October 1995 – August 1997, C-141 Navigator, Scheduler, Assistant Chief of Tactics and Executive Officer,
13th Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
3. August 1997 – January 1999, Student Pilot, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, 8th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
4. January 1999 – September 1999, F-15E Student Pilot, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. September 1999 – June 2002, F-15E Instructor Pilot, Assistant Chief of Stan/Eval, Assistant Chief of Scheduling and Chief of Air-to-Ground Weapons, 90th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
6. June 2002 – January 2003, F-15E Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Wing Stan/Eval, 3d Operations Group, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
7. January 2003 – January 2006, F-15E Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Training, Flight Commander and Assistant Operations Officer, 333d Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
8. January 2006 – November 2006, F-15K Instructor Pilot, Training Specialist, Joint United States Military Affairs Group Korea, Yong San Barracks, Seoul, South Korea
9. November 2006 – December 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. December 2007 – December 2009, Operations Officer, Global Force Management, Joint Operations Division,J-3, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. December 2009 – December 2010, Wing Chief of Safety, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
12. December 2010 – March 2012, Director of Operations, 428th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
13. March 2012 – April 2014, Commander, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
14. July 2014 – July 2015, Student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
15. July 2015 – May 2018, Chief, Precision Engagement Division, National Geospatial Intelligence Agency,
St Louis, Mo.16. May 2018 – Present, Commander, 4th Operations Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. January 2006 – November 2006, F-15K Instructor Pilot, Training Specialist, Joint United States Military Affairs Group Korea, Yong San Barracks, Seoul, South Korea
2. December 2007 – December 2009, Operations Officer, Global Force Management, Joint Operations Division,J-3, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
3. July 2015 – May 2018, Chief, Precision Engagement Division, National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, St Louis, Mo.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,100
Aircraft Flown: F-15E, F-15SG, F-15K, A/T-38, T-37, C-141, T-43 and T-41
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
2009 Published in Air and Space Power Journal, Spring Issue 2009
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major Sept. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2009
Colonel Nov. 1, 2015
(Current as of May 2018)