ArticleCS - Article View


U.S. Air Force Fact Sheet

The School Liaison Officer connects schools, families and the Seymour Johnson community together in meeting the educational needs of the military child, and serves as a point of contact for all who desire assistance with school-related matters.

Transitioning to a New School Checklist

- Contact your Airmen and Family Readiness Center, Relocation Program, for information on your gaining installation and surrounding communities and to obtain a Standard Installation Topic Exchange Service (SITES) package.
- Visit the web page for both the State Department of Education and local County/District School system. If going overseas, visit the DODEA homepage at
- Contact the housing office at the gaining installation to determine the waiting period for on-base quarters. This may determine the school your child will attend. If you will be in temporary housing, contact your School Liaison Officer for assistance.
- Check the new school calendar for starting and ending dates.
- Be familiar with the process of transferring of records, school eligibility requirements (kindergarten age) and subsequent placement of the students.
- If you have a child of high school age, get information on the gaining state's high school graduation requirements. Be familiar with the present and gaining school's grading system and weighted grades. This may affect your child's class standing/grade point average (GPA).
- Give the losing school(s) adequate notice of withdrawal. Remember it is Army policy to in/out process with the school.
- Hand carry all recommended school records. DO NOT PUT THESE RECORDS IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD GOODS!
- Contact the School Liaison Officer and school counselor for assistance.

Transitioning a Special Needs Student Checklist

Before you leave your current duty station:

- Contact your local special education counselor/director and request assistance as to what should be done before the transition to the new school. Write or contact the special education director for the district that you are going to and request local policies. If coming to Seymour Johnson AFB, contact Jane Walston, Director Instructional Support Services at (919) 705-6027 for assistance.
- Schedule an Annual, Review and Dismissal (ARD) meeting to discuss the progress your child has made since your last Individualized Education Program (IEP) review. Ask for written suggestions that may help your child and the staff at the new school.
- Request a copy of your child's complete educational record to include a copy of the latest IEP. Hand carry all records, samples of your child's work, and other information related to your child's education.
- Contact your local Special Needs Identification Program (SNIP) Coordinator (SJAFB: 919-722-1883 or DSN 722-1883) who can assist you with identifying resources at your new duty station.
- Be sure to take any special equipment and refill medication prescriptions that your child may need for the next few months.
- Contact the School Liaison Officer to assist with transitioning your child to the new school.

School and Military Links

- Wayne County Public Schools provides public K-12 education for Seymour Johnson AFB children:
- North Carolina Department of Public Instruction is the governing body for all public K-12 schools in North Carolina; they provide information and support to North Carolina public schools:
- North Carolina Schools Report Cards provides current statistical data on each public school in North Carolina:
- U.S. Department of Education:
- Department of Defense Districts and Schools on the Web: Military Child Education Coalition:
- Military Student:
- Military Teens on the Move:
- National Military Family Association:
- Air Force Crossroads:
- Military One Source:

Education Information Links

- Education World:
- Discover School:
- National Education Association:
- National Association for Gifted Children:

Point of Contact
School Liaison Officer, 1570 Wright Bros. Ave., Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C. 27531. Com'l: (919) 722-0691; DSN: 722-0691.