education center services

The Watkins-Das Learning Center provides a variety of education programs ranging from high school completion through master's degrees. Central Michigan University, Embry Riddle University, Fayetteville State University, Mount Olive College and Wayne Community College offer degree programs on base. 

Professional guidance counselors can help you find the right college program. Information on the Community College of the Air Force, commissioning programs, the GI bill and tuition assistance is available.

Base Education Services Office 
Location: 1520 Goodson St, SJAFB 
Telephone.: 919-722-5800 
Hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

On-Base Schools 
Embry-Riddle University: 919-734-9211 
Central Michigan University: 919-735-8064 
Fayetteville State University: 919- 583-8025 
Mt Olive College: 919-734-8585 
Wayne Community College: 919-735-5151 ext 721 

School Liaison Officer
1200 Wright Brothers Avenue, SJAFB, NC 27531. Comm: (919) 722-0691; DSN: 722-0691.

North Carolina Residence Status for Tuition Purposes Public Colleges and Universities: Members of the armed services stationed in and concurrently living in North Carolina may be charged a rate which is equivalent to the in-state tuition rates. 

A dependent relative (wife, husband, son, daughter) of a service member stationed in North Carolina is eligible for in-state tuition while living in North Carolina with the service member. If a person has been classified a resident for tuition purpose and subsequently loses North Carolina residency (retires/separates and remains in North Carolina), that person may continue to enjoy in-state tuition for a grace period of 12 months from the date North Carolina residency was lost. If the 12 month grace period ends during a term in which the person is enrolled at a state institution, the grace period extends to the end of the term. 

In the event a military member leaves North Carolina (PCS or retirement), a student previously provided in-state tuition rates shall continue to be eligible for the in-state during the remainder of that academic year. Individuals assigned to North Carolina military installations, not paying North Carolina taxes and not enrolled (ref to Grace Period info), need to understand that upon retirement or separation they and their dependents lose the in-state tuition status. 

To then qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must become a legal resident (pay North Carolina state taxes) for at least 12 months immediately prior to classification. It should be noted that North Carolina tuition is considerably higher for individuals who must pay out-of-state tuition. 

If a military member or family member plans to enroll in a North Carolina public institution in the 12 months after retirement/separation, it may be advantageous to begin paying state taxes one year prior to beginning school. Other items such as registering to vote. 

Acquiring a North Carolina driver's license, registering a motor vehicle, etc., are also important in establishing in-state tuition status.